TMJ disorders occur in the temporomandibular (TMJ) joint, otherwise known as the jaw. TMJ disorders can cause a number of problems in the jaw joint, as well as the muscles that control its movement. In general, TMJ disorders can be easily treated and do not result in long-term complications. In some cases, however, TMJ disorders can become lengthy conditions, especially without TMJ treatment in Los Angeles. If you suspect you’re experiencing a problem with your jaw, it is wise to make an appointment with Los Angeles ENT Dr. Aminpour so you can receive an official diagnosis.
What exactly are TMJ disorders?
There are several types of TMJ disorders, each of which requires different treatment. Because each type produces similar symptoms, it’s important to get an examination to sort out the exact source. From there, Dr. Aminpour can begin with effective TMJ treatment in Los Angeles patients.
TMJ falls into three main categories:
- Myofascial pain in the jaw, usually caused by overuse or injury
- Internal derangement, or dislocation of some component in the jaw
- Arthritis, which affects the cartilage surrounding the jaw joint
These conditions may occur by themselves, or they may be the result of another condition. For this reason, if you experience any symptoms of TMJ, we encourage you to come into our office for an examination. This way, you can be sure of the source, allowing you to get the correct treatment.
Patients with TMJ can experience symptoms that are mild or severe. In any case, it is important to get the following symptoms checked out by Dr. Aminpour, so he can give you more data regarding the condition.
TMJ symptoms include:
- Pain that can occur in the jaw joint, face, shoulders, neck or around the ear when you move your mouth
- Inability to open your mouth wide
- Jaws that stick in the open or closed position
- Clicking or popping when moving the jaw
- Feeling tired in the face
- Upper and lower teeth not fitting together correctly
- Swelling in the face
- TMJ can occur in a single side or both sides of the face
If you experience any of the above symptoms, you may have a TMJ disorder. In addition to his swift diagnosis and effective treatment of TMJ, Dr. Aminpour is also well known as an allergy specialist in Los Angeles. If you have any questions or would like to set an appointment, please give us a call. Our patients are calling this the best TMJ treatment Los Angeles has available.